It Begins

Saturday, November 8, 2008
Ran: 2.1 miles
Walked: 1.7 miles

I admit that I'm not a total beginner at running. I used to run (OK, jog) several times a week, although never for more than a mile or two at a time.

I hate running. I admit it. I have horrific memories of 7th grade athletics, when we were forced to run a mile without stopping by our evil dictactor P.E. coach. Thinking about her even now gives me the shivers.

Back then, I was a ballet dancer, and had been since I was four years old. I had muscles of steel, yes, but they were the slim muscles designed for the graceful strength and beauty of ballet -- not the calves-in-your-face Rambo muscles of distance runners. I played soccer and basketball, too, like most every red-blooded American kid. But I never ran for an extended period of time without stopping. For me, making four loops around that quarter of a mile track signified the purest, most evil form of torture known to mankind.

It was especially hard for me since not only am I a wuss, but I'm a vertically challenged wuss. I'm five foot two and have always been short for my age. Back then everyone was taller and had longer legs. Their strides were long and graceful, like a Thoroughbred. They were the Thoroughbreds on the track, and I was the clunky donkey.

Yeah. Bad memories.

BUT the important thing is I did it. Three times a week for a year, I did it. And in my early twenties I did it too, and I grew to enjoy running...at least sometimes. But I never became a runner in the way that I always dreamed of.

No more, my friends, no more. I am determined to become that runner and I have a worthy cause that's motivating me. So I'm not going to be the donkey anymore. I'm going to graduate from ass to Thoroughbred....or at least from ass to no ass. (Seriously, my behind needs some work with all this weight I've gained.)

I've registered for a 5K on December 13. That's about a month away and is equivalent to around three miles. YIKES!! I have my work cut out for me.

So, some progress.

Last night I drove over to the Bob Woodruff park for a change from the track. I jogged around the lake three times. That came to the equivalent of 2.1 miles. Wow! I was really surprised. I also walked twice around the lake (once before my jog and once after). It was dark, but I liked the way the jogging trail lights reflected on the lake. I had a few partners in crime: a couple of solo joggers, a loud family taking a stroll, a couple bajillion ducks, and one crane-like bird who stared at me with a mix of curiosity and almost disdain, and with a fish hanging out of his mouth. Look, I know I'm not exactly the slimmest, trimmest, most athletic jogger, but at least I don't have a silly fish hanging out of my mouth, you stupid bird.

Geez. Everyone's a critic.

Anyway, I'm proud of my 2.1 miles, and if I keep this up, I think my 5K isn't going to be as stressful as I initially thought. However......distance-wise I'm doing good, but speed-wise I think I'm pretty awful. One of these days I'm going to buy one of those gadgets that tells me how much of a slowpoke I am, per mile.

Till next time...















Lights Reflecting on the Lake at Bob Woodruff Park

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.