Being a Biker Chick

....or rather, to be infinitely more sophisticated, "cyclist lady."


Biked: 40 minutes.
Ran: 0 miles.
Walked: 0 miles.

I went for a bike ride tonight. It was a beautiful evening for a ride, honestly. Cold but not unbearably so, with clear skies. I just tooled around my neighborhood, basically, and looked at the Christmas lights. It appears that about 10% of my neighborhood has put up lights.

To me, Christmas lights are either hit or miss. You don't see a lot of "average" displays. It's either awesome or dismal. The homeowners either spent a chunk of money on their displays and hung the lights with care and positioned yard signs, snow-globes, etc. with care.......or they hung out a lighted wreath, threw some lights on a bush or two, and called it a day.

Honestly, I know we're supposed to love Christmas for a lot of reasons other than holiday lights, but it irritates me when I see half-assed Christmas lights. It's like, what's the point in such a puny display? The yard looks terrible compared to other yards. If you really want to celebrate the birth of Jesus, celebrate with style, pizzazz, and energy. Don't skimp on Jesus' birth, man!! Just leave the lights off next time if you can't handle it.

Is that overly harsh of me?

Anyway, it was a nice ride, even though the seat of my cheap-O bike is super uncomfortable and makes my muscles down there extremely sore. Tomorrow's gonna be fun. How long does it take bike-seat muscles to get used to being on a bike again? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process so I'm not sore every time I hop on my bike after not riding for a week? You know how they have those "Buns of Steel" and "Thighs of Steel" exercise videos -- how about "Groins of Steel"? With Lance Armstrong maybe? No? Sigh.

On the injury front, I'm definitely doing better. I can walk without pain and should probably be able to start light jogging again by next week. For now I'm doing some stretches and exercises for my Achilles tendons. The right one does hurt when I do certain stretches, but I'll take it easy this week and see if it loosens up enough for me to start running again next week.

The 5K is also next week. Guess that's gonna be a miss. I might show up to walk it (and claim my free T-shirt) but I'm not sure I'm that inspired to wake up early if I'm not gonna be running in the damn thing.

We shall see.

2 Comments:

  1. Miss Merry said...
    i occasionally bike from time to time (i would everyday if i wasn't working 2 jobs and if it was a thousand million degrees here in the summer!) and i'm always a tad sore after a long ride. (whoa..that sounded so dirty..not my intention!) anywho, have you tried replacing your seat or covering it with one of those super comfy gel seats? they really help...

    also, you should check out the lights in university and highland park. most of them are pretty fab and a few are really terrible.
    Jess said...
    Thanks for the advice! If it's not too expensive, I think I might definitely replace my bike seat. That thing is like the Bun Punisher. I haven't made it out to the Park Cities yet, but that's a great idea! Anytime I'm in that area, though, I am irresistibly drawn to the fancy shops I can never afford, like Jimmy Choo...

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.